Sunday 19 January 2014

Coming home

How difficult it was to leave Barbados, John and Oystergo...it had been one of the best experiences of my life and that was thanks to the people who had made it possible, in particular the extra extraordinary, Captain John. And then there was Ryan without whom the trip wouldn't have been half so much fun. But many will know that my friend Rosemary also had huge part to play. She would have loved to have known more about this trip and it was she who had said at her gate in July with a huge smile "Sounds fantastic, you've got to do it. It will be amazing". She was right - I loved every single minute and I am so looking forward to catching up with David, Luke, Samuel and Joseph.

I had booked a cheap flight home which generally means an early start. The alarm went at 6am and John smoothly took us ashore in the dinghy on the most glorious of moonlit early mornings.




As we reached the shore some horses from the nearby garrison were being washed in the sea. Another magical sight and memory with which to leave.

Taxi was waiting and I left with a heavy heart but an excitement about getting home to see George and Charlie, family and friends.

It was a bit of a crazy trip home via Trinidad where I had a few hours to zip into buzzing downtown Port of Spain and a long hot walk to the botanical gardens...

..where I was expertly shown around by a friendly guide. Then back to the bus station via shared taxi which was kindly paid for by one of the other fares (these things don't happen in London). 

I arrived back in a rain sodden Gatwick only to find most trains running north were cancelled (how typical). Eventually, travelled via two late running packed trains and a 37 bus back to Herne Hill where Charlie and Kaz met me at the bus stop to help with my bags.  It was wonderful to see them and ....yes ..

...they baked me a delicious cake. George had gone back to Edinburgh to start the new term but I'll soon be up there to visit him!

Next day to the lido to return to the cold water which is another story and can be found in a
another lovely blog from Katie.

How lucky I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment